Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Nuages

"Nuages" is the french word for clouds. I am a creative kind of guy, and clouds have always fascinated me. Yeah, that's right, I am one of those guys who likes to lie on the grass and pick out shapes in the clouds.
"Look at that one! It looks like a horse!"
"What about that one there, it looks like a crab!"
"Dude, that one looks like your mom!"
Just kidding, I haven't seen any clouds today that look like your mom, but I have seen some interesting clouds today. Gray, ominous looking clouds, and white popcorn looking clouds have filled the sky, and through it all the sun was shining, anticipating the coming summer.

All this talk of Nuages is making me excited for the Blues In Orbit program tomorrow night. I think I will have to play Django's tune for all of you. It is one of his more reknowned tunes, and starts of hectic, almost as if the clouds are storming at the time...then without warning the tempo slows, and the song changes direction, as if the storm has broken. At this point of the song I often think about lying in the grass, a blade stuck between my teeth, enjoying where the clouds take my imagination.

My imagination has wandered lately. For the first 8 years of my swing dancing life, I danced in San Francisco. There are always clouds hovering over that city. I also danced in Sacramento for the same amount of time. They can get a cloud or two there as well. I now dance in Salt Lake City, Utah and we all know they have clouds here. This state never knows if it should rain, snow or shine.

The reason I bring this up is that the San Francisco and Sacramento dance scenes are pretty big. Salt Lake is pretty small as a scene. But, as with the clouds, I let my imagination wander. I imagine that Salt Lake can become a big dance scene. I imagine that hordes of people will migrate to the city in order to "cut a rug" on Friday nights. Just like the shapes in the clouds, there are endless possibilities to what swing dancing can be in Salt Lake City.

Salt Lake City's Downtown Stomp, the newest swing dance in Salt Lake, will be holding a dance and live band this weekend. There is a 40's Military theme. A fun time will be had by all. I am excited to go. This is the kind of thing this scene needs in order to consistently bring the people to the dances.

Like seeing shapes in the clouds, I am seeing what this dance scene can become and I find it fascinating. If you have a love for swing music, and dancing, come on out to the Downtown Stomp swing dance this weekend, and if it is your first time I promise to do my best to make you feel welcome...just ask for Tombstone...someone will point you in my direction.

If you aren't a dancer, but love good live music, come on out anyway, guaranteed there will be some great music, and it is always fascinating to watch swing dancers in action. If you need more information click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment