Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Life on Mars


Mars; the red planet and the Roman God of War. Home of little green men and subject of many television shows, movies, and books. Nevermind the fact that Bowie wrote the kickin' song that this blog is named after.


Have you ever felt like two hours of your life were missing? How about years? When I woke up this morning and felt like the last month of my life was missing, I made sure to rule out little green men as the first option. Hell, I made sure to rule out little green men as any option. I quietly got ready for school and went to take two finals. The first one was for Medieval Lit, and the second was for a first year, second semester french final. That is when I knew that something was wrong. I didn't have anything relevant to say on my Medieval lit final! I always have something relevant to say! Ok...you got me...maybe I don't. I do however, always have something to say. Relevancy may not be an issue for the continuous stream of vocabulary perpetually issuing from my mouth.


Could it be little green men? Did they somehow kidnap me, cut me open, sew me back up, and return me to my bed without me knowing? Again, that wasn't an option. Why? Because little green men don't exist? No...just...because.


I finished my finals, went home and turned on one of my favorite bands in the last two years. The Bad Plus. Life on Mars...a cover of Bowie, but as a jazz tune. I know what you are thinking. Jazz covers of rock songs are more terrifying than the prospect of little green men. At least with little green men, there is the possibility that one of those little guys could be a cool dude. Not so with the jazz covers of rock songs.


That thought isn't necessarily right though. There is no other way to say this. The Bad Plus rock! Check em out if you haven't...Unfortunately, listening to the Bad Plus three hours after my Medieval lit final was over didn't help me to have anything relevant to say about the subject...but I did enter the fascinating world of wonder and imagination.


What would Life on Mars be like? Could you even climb Olympus Mons (the highest known mountain in the Solar System) and survive? What would it be like to stare that face in the face? Oh come on...you know what i mean...that one in the picture up there....If there really was life on mars do you think they like the stories about John Carter, or the Martian Chronicles? Do you feel like I have anything relevant to say at the moment?
Either way, Mars will continue to orbit the sun, I will feel like the last month of my life is missing, and I will continue to play some cool music on Blues in Orbit.





1 comment:

  1. i should read your blogs more often. they would probably improve my intelligence levels.

    ReplyDelete